Sunday, August 7, 2011

Week 1 Reading - Copyright

http://intechweb.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/hargreaves-report-on-copyright-the-answer-to-the-machine-is-in-the-machine/

In watching the videos on Copyright, I must say I was pleasantly surprised to see the video A Fair(y) Use.  I previously taught a research class and at the beginning of each marking period, I showed this video to my classes so that they can constantly be reminded about copyright.  The class was mainly project based learning and I learned the hard way about copyright when one of my students made a video using clips from a news broadcast and was challenged by fair use and they could not submit it to a contest.  It was an excellent project on top of that.  My classes worked closely with our librarian to also learn more about fair use and copyright to protect their creative work in my class.

The documentary Good Copy/Bad Copy was truly enlightening particularly at then end.  I was not aware of the prevalence of remixing in Brazil and how much those who seemingly don’t have much take time and effort to create such amazing hybrids of music.  I see kids these days doing the same things though.  Taking the technology and equipment that is available to them and doing things that are so advanced that it is downright amazing.  Larry Lessing's TED Talk about remixing culture led me to think about the questions: Are we really comfortable stifling that level or creativity?  Or do we need to find some healthy balance to encourage our future leaders and artists to flex their creative muscle?

Lastly, the clip about "Eye on the Fair Use Prize"  really pushed my concern regarding lost historical accounts.  I've always felt that what is captured in history will be how the future views the past.  Our perspective of the Greek Era or the Romans or even the missing accounts of African tribes and cultures prior to slavery comes from historical accounts and documents that are left for the future.  What we choose to omit only paints a partial view of all that really occur and is that really fair to those who must piece together a picture of our today?  I guess in some things, copyright can be a blessing and a curse.

Resources:
http://web.me.com/edm613/m11/wk1-reading1.html
http://web.me.com/edm613/m11/wk1-reading2.html
http://web.me.com/edm613/m11/wk1-reading3.html

2 comments:

  1. Stephania you made an excellent point about the historical accounts or video footage being out of circulation regarding the Civil Rights Movement. In addition, the future depends on our history. ALL history should be told according to the actual events that occurred so that future generations will have a solid foundation of what occurred and the what resulted as the solution to those events. Partial pictures are being painted and the truth is not always conveyed the way that is should especially to our young learners who in some instances are clueless to how the Civil Rights movement is affecting their ability to go to any institution of higher learning in the world and it is allowing nations of color to prevail in places where we never thought we would be. I am speaking of all colors not just African Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephania, great reflection on the videos and issues. It is so tough to teach media or how to use these great tools without stepping all over these laws. It's all the more important that we are fully informed on what's what and the need for things to change so that our media heritage is not lost or locked away.

    ReplyDelete