Monday, January 10, 2011

BP2_Twiducate

I chose to use Twiducate, which is for one, FREE and it provides a social networking site to use in the classroom.  What could be more amusing to give students a twitter like platform to engage them with class stuff?  I'm all about getting students more interested and engaged in the classroom and I thought that this tool is awesome in providing a familiar platform for students to use appropriately.  I teach middle school and one thing I've learned is that middle schoolers are easily bored and they are easily amused.  Bringing something like Twiducate to the classroom would peak their interest simply because it mocks twitter.  Also, having to use the tool appropriately forces them to learn Netiquette and hopefully teaches them how to be more conscious of their actions online in other venues.

When you first enter the site, there is a brief description and a video explaining the tool and how to use it.  It's simplicity is that just like Twitter and yet it is still comprehensive enough to help you determine if it is a tool you can use in your classroom:

Signing up is easy and it doesn't ask for too personal of information.  Mainly only the information needed to identify the page as yours and details that you wouldn't mind your students knowing:

You then are given the opportunity to use an avatar they have already preloaded or uploading your own personal picture (I chose to use an avatar, the kids know what I look like and I thought it would be fun):

You then create  your class or classes.  The only downfall it seems is that you have to input each student of that class yourself.  I think it would've been better if the students have the link to your site and can sign up themselves.  It's not so bad now as I have only 48 students, but when I had 170+ students I don't think this would've happened:

After creating your class you can now add your thoughts.  Just like Twitter, you post your thoughts or however you choose to use the tool.  I was thinking of using it as an extended discussion where I post a question on the day's lecture and allow the students to answer for example.

You can also post important links to share with the class:

As well as important dates:

And lastly, you have a platform to mingle with the Twiducate community and post questions or start discussions:



2 comments:

  1. This tool looks like it would be fun in the classroom. It would give you simple options for a discussion and other posts. I will have to try this. I am interested in the possibility of using an application similar to Twitter in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this tool would be great in the corporate world as well. Giving student the opportunity to start social networking in a safe environment is great.

    Could it be used as like an online syllabus? So work can be tracked to important dates? That would be great for both settings.

    ReplyDelete